We’re looking forward to Saturday’s Buchanan Tri – Hurricane Florence edition!
- The Buchanan Tri will go on “rain or shine.” Hopefully, we’ll avoid the showers.
- You may drop off your kayak at the Springwood Boat Launch (underneath the Springwood Rd bridge) beginning at noon on Saturday. We’ll have volunteers there to watch it. Twin River Outfitters will be transporting kayaks from the Town Park to the Springwood Boat Launch if you set it up with them. They are limiting their shuttle capacity to 40 kayaks. If you are renting your kayak from them, the shuttle is included. If you need a rental or a shuttle, and haven’t made reservations, please do that ASAP.
- The race starts at 2:00 pm SHARP. We’ll have a mandatory pre-race meeting at 1:45.
- Spectators are strongly discouraged at the Springwood Boat Launch. The space is small and since it is a public boat landing, there will be other users besides us. By staying out of the way you will help protect the safety of our participants and volunteers! *We highly encourage spectators everywhere else!
- We are currently working with the Botetourt Co. Sheriff's Department to ensure that roads will be closed for the running portion of the Tri.
- There will be NO ROAD CLOSURES for the cycling leg. Please obey ALL TRAFFIC RULES and watch for cars. There are a handful of stop signs on the route. Stop for them!
- There are 4 railroad track crossings on the course -- one on the running leg and 3 on the cycling leg. If the crossing barriers drop, stop! Trains happen. Think of it as an extra break.
- We'll have 3 aid stations on the course -- bike transition; kayak transition; finish (Each aid station will have fluids and food – Hammer Nutrition is our “fuel” sponsor this year).
- The bike route will be marked with arrows on orange paper at each intersection. It is your responsibility to know the route!
- Please ride single file. Drafting is permitted (but take a pull yourself every now and then!)
- A helmet is required for the bike leg; a life jacket is required for the paddle.
- We will have volunteers to watch your bike at the Springwood Boat Launch until 6:00 pm. You will need to pick up your bike once the race is over. The boat landing is about a 10 minute drive from the Town Park.