We've decided the event WILL go on, but with some major modifications. Here's the plan.
1) There will be no "mass start" on Sunday. In fact, you probably won't see us at all. Instead, the course will be open from 10 am Friday to 4 pm Sunday. You can choose your day and your start time -- still 6 hours max. Important: if you plan on completing the course Friday or Saturday, please call the Camp Bethel office (540-992-2940) to let them know you are coming. The start/finish is still the Ark parking lot at Camp Bethel (328 Bethel Rd, Fincastle, VA 24090).
2) Course maps will be available on this page by Thursday morning, so you can print your own. We will also have a few maps available at the Camp Bethel office -- outside on the bench. The course will be a bit smaller than usual and we won't have a separate bike section -- everything will be on foot. The good news: you might find the CPs are a bit closer together.
3) Make sure you bring plenty of snacks and water and a first aid kit. Creeks are running pretty strong in the mountains, so there is ample water on the course if you are willing to filter it. We strongly encourage the buddy system. Make sure someone is aware of your planned "end time." You should have cell phone service on most of the course -- but don't count on it!
4) There is no charge for the event, but donations will be accepted (and greatly appreciated!) Suggested donation: Solo -- $25; add $10 for each additional person. If you've already paid to register and would like a full refund, please let us know.
5) Score your own card and share your score, elapsed time, and photos on our Facebook page (you can email them to us, too). We'll have a FB post set up by Friday for you to reply to.
6) Please let us know if you will be participating (and when), just to give us an idea. Contact us if you have questions. Our phone numbers will also be on the map should anything come up the day of the event.
7) Have fun and enjoy a little "normalcy" for the day!
Course map is available for printing here. We will also leave a few printed maps on the porch of the Camp Bethel office. If the front gate is closed, please park in the grassy field on your right. This will be the start/finish. Share your adventure with us on our Facebook page!
Learn more about orienteering events in the area from our friends at the Blue Ridge Orienteering Club.
Our "open" format is a competitive navigation adventure where individuals/teams use a map & compass to navigate an area in search of control points (CPs). The adventure can be completed on foot, on mountain bike, or using both. Our goal in course design is to take you to cool places that you might never travel to otherwise. We definitely will encourage you to navigate the road less traveled. Our courses are challenging for experts, but are also welcoming to beginners. We'll have CPs suitable to every ability level. Here are the basics...
More navigating Resources: