Find more orienteering events in the area from our friends at the Blue Ridge Orienteering Club.
Learn more about the amazing benefits of navigating (mind, body, and soul) at these links from our friends at Orienteering Unlimited
1) The Fall Frenzy course will be open from 8 am Friday, November 6th until 4 pm Sunday, November 8th. The course will close at dusk on Friday and Saturday and re-open at dawn. You can choose your day and your start time -- still 6 hours max. The start/finish is the paved ARK parking lot at Camp Bethel (328 Bethel Rd, Fincastle, VA). Please depart BEFORE dark.
Saturday, Nov 7 is the camp's Fall Volunteer Workday, so they'll have several folks around the property working & chainsawing, so be aware. Trees to be dropped are marked with a WHITE RIBBON. You'll also see lots of orange ribbon, which marks the 5K course, and a few trails. AND, you'll see small orange flags/pins, which are marking our upcoming Disc Golf Course, so do not move those, please. The only markings for the Fall Frenzy course are the control point flags themselves.
2) Course maps are available here. You can print your own or pick up a copy from the bench outside the Camp Bethel office when you arrive. The course continues to shift to give you more "unexplored" areas of the camp and surrounding areas!
3) Make sure you bring plenty of snacks and water and a first aid kit. Water is available from creeks on the course, just make sure you filter it before drinking. We strongly encourage the buddy system. Make sure someone is aware of your planned "end time." Decisions you make while out on the course are all on you, so be safe! Turkey season will be in as well as early muzzleloader and early archery season for deer. We've seen more hunters out and about this year, so wear some BLAZE ORANGE, especially on Saturday. You should have cell phone service on most of the course -- but don't count on it!
4) There is no charge for the event, but donations will be accepted (and greatly appreciated!) Suggested donation: Solo -- $25; add $10 for each additional person. We'll send a portion of each donation we receive to Camp Bethel, but you can also contribute to them directly.
5) Score your own card and share your score, elapsed time, and photos on our Facebook page (you can email them to us, too). Each finishing team will receive a cool Muddy Squirrel Fall Frenzy finisher's medal. Include your mailing address when you send us your score!
6) Please let us know if you will be participating (and when), just to give us an idea. Contact us if you have questions. Our phone numbers will also be on the map should anything come up the day of the event.
***Spring Navigation Results***
Not every team shared their results with us, but here are the top 5 of the ones we received. Don't see yours? Email us at email@example.com to share your score.
1) Team van Assendelft -- 420 pts in 4 hrs 10 mins
2) Dave Smith (solo) -- 420 pts in 5 hrs 1 min
3) Team Smith -- 380 pts in 6 hrs 0 mins
4) CJ Meidlinger -- 320 pts in 5 hrs 6 mins
5) Team Butler-Meidlinger -- 105 pts in 1 hr 48 min
This format is a competitive navigation adventure where individuals/teams use a map & compass to navigate an area in search of control points (CPs). The adventure must be completed totally on FOOT and teams MUST stay together. Our goal in course design is to take you to cool places that you might never travel to otherwise. We definitely will encourage you to navigate the road less traveled. Our courses are challenging for experts, but are also welcoming to beginners. We'll have CPs suitable to every ability level. Here are the basics...
More navigating Resources: